MCQ Questions-Answers of the poem ‘Asleep in the Valley’
Important Short Questions-Answers
1. The smile of the soldier is – gentle without guile H.S. 2015
2. The soldiers pillow is made of – fern H.S. 2017
3. The soldier lies in the valley because he is a – casualty of war. WBCHSE Model Question
4. The dead soldier is – very young. WBCHSE Model Question
5. The poet request nature – to keep the soldier warm. WBCHSE Model Question
6. Asleep in the valley is a – Shakespearean sonnet.
7. The two red holes indicate – the soldier is dead / bullets wound.
8. The original poem is – Le Dormeur Du Val
9. The original poem is written in – French language.
10. The poet writes this poem in – free verse.
11. This poem is – lyric.
12. The poet uses – the sonnet form.
13. The poem reflects – the futility / pity of war.
14. The valley is – small and green.
15. The stream is – slow.
16. The sun rays are coming from – the mountaintop.
17. Hollow means – an empty space.
18. Heavy undergrowth means – plants / shrubbery on the ground of valley.
19. The sun rays are compared to – a stream.
20. The soldier lies – open mouthed.
21. The soldier’s body lies – stretched.
22. The young soldier’s body looks – pale / colourless.
23. The soldier’s feet were – amoung the flowers.
24. The insects were – humming.
25. The soldier has in his side – two red holes.
26. The bed is warm because – it is sun-soaked.
SAQ ( Important Short Questions-Answers) of the poem ‘Asleep in the Valley’
- What does the stream leave long strands of silver? H.S. 2017
The stream leaves long strands of silver on the green grass on the valley.
- What is described as gentle without guile? H.S. 2017
The smile of the dead soldier is described as gentle without guile.
- What do the two red holes signify? H.S. 2015
The two red holes signify that the soldier is dead by bullets wounds in the war.
- The humming insects don’t disturb his rest – why? WBCHSE Model Question
Because the soldier is sleeping peacefully.
- What is the smile of the dead soldier compared to? WBCHSE Model Question
The smile of the dead soldier is compared to the gentle and innocent smile of an infant.
- What does the word hollow describe? WBCHSE Model Question
The word hollow means an empty space on the valley.
- What is the soldier’s pillow made of? WBCHSE Model Question
The soldier’s pillow is made of fern.
- Where does the stream flow?
The stream flows through the small and green valley.
- What is the setting of the poem?
The setting of the poem is probably the Franco-Russian War of 1877 or The Franco-Prussian War of 1870.